It is the policy of the Madrid Program to offer the highest quality program at the most affordable price possible to enable all interested students the opportunity to participate.
Program Registration Fee:
Room and Board:
In addition, expect to pay approximately $1,300 for airfare and ground transportation, up to $100 for textbook(s), $1,800 for personal expenses (weekend meals, etc.), and $250 for miscellaneous expenses (passport fee, international student ID card, photos, medical insurance, etc.). Tuition, room & board, and other expenses will total about $9,975.
A limited number of $1500 scholarships will be awarded to law students on the basis of outstanding scholarship and financial need. To be eligible for consideration, students must submit their application and registration fee along with the following materials:
- For W&M Students: a brief cover letter describing your academic interests and interest in our program and the Scholarship Application form.
- For Visiting Students: a brief cover letter describing your academic interests and interest in our program, an official transcript of all law grades, a statement of class standing (if available by scholarship application deadline), and a copy of your LSAT score.
Early Registration Discount:
Applications postmarked by February 15th will receive a $150 discount on remaining program fees.
Save money and enjoy your summer in Spain with friends. For every friend you recommend to the program that joins you in Madrid, both you and your friend save money. The more friends you bring, the more you save! Follow the instructions at the bottom of the green application to participate.
+ Add up the savings—there's no limit +
|Your Savings||Friend's Savings|
|First Friend||$50 off||$50 off each|
|Second Friend||$150 off||$50 off each|
|Third Friend||$300 off||$50 off each|
|Fourth Friend||$500 off||$50 off each|
|Fifth Friend||$750 off||$50 off each|
Or, got a group? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to spread the savings around!
Program Assistant Discount:
If you are fluent in Spanish and interested in helping with the daily operations of the Madrid Program during your five weeks in Spain, you may apply to be a Program Assistant. Chosen Assistants must arrive in Madrid a week early to help the On-Site Director prepare for the arrival of other participants and will work an additional 10 hours per week for the duration of the program. Chosen Assistants will have their Room & Board fees waived as compensation for their service (a $2,500 value). An email with a detailed job description and application will be sent out to all registered participants on April 1st. Applications for the Program Assistant position are due by April 15th and a decision will be announced by May 1st.
Financial Aid Information
Students who are already receiving need-based financial aid from their home law school are generally able to apply for additional aid to use toward program costs. If you plan to seek financial aid, you must apply for educational loans through your home institution’s financial aid office. Due to substantial processing time, you are advised to begin this process as early as possible.
For W&M Students: Collect the Summer School Financial Aid Application from the Financial Aid Office in Blow Hall and return it to either the Financial Aid Office or room 238 in the Law School.
For Visiting Students: Visiting Students must contact the Financial Aid Office at their home law school to apply for loans. Additionally, many law schools require a Consortium Agreement to be signed in order to use loan money to temporarily attend another institution. Check with your Financial Aid Office to determine if a Consortium Agreement is needed.
- Have your home law school fax or mail a Consortium Agreement to the International Programs Office at William & Mary Law School.
William & Mary Law School
International Programs Office
P.O. Box 8795
Williamsburg, Virginia 23187-8795
- W&M will complete their portion of the agreement and return it to your home institution.
- Confirm with your home Financial Aid Office repeat of the agreement and that you have successfully completed the Consortium Process.
◊ Failure to attend to the consortium process can result in a considerable delay in getting financial aid ◊
After securing financial aid through your home law school, you must fill out the Loan Verification Form (PDF) and have it signed by your Financial Aid Officer. The Loan Verification Form allows you to defer payment on part or all of the balance due on your account until your loan funds are disbursed.
If your loan will not be disbursed in time to meet the May 31st payment deadline, you must submit a signed, notarized promissory note to the International Programs Office.
Refund requests must be made in writing (letter, fax, or email) to the International Programs Office by the following dates:
- Prior to April 30, 2013: All room & board and tuition payments are fully refundable.
- From May 1to May 31: Room & board payment is refundable, less the $300 deposit; tuition is refundable, less a $100 cancellation fee.
- From June 1 to commencement date of the program: Fifty percent of the total room & board charge can be refunded and tuition is refundable, less a $100 cancellation fee.
NO REFUNDS WILL BE MADE ONCE THE PROGRAM HAS COMMENCED.
◊ If you must withdraw from the program, the $125.00 Program Registration Fee will not be refunded. In the event that you wish to apply for the program again in the future, however, the Program Registration Fee will be waived. ◊