The members of the Class of 2020 arrived at the Law School on August 14, 2017, hailing from 33 states, the District of Columbia, Canada, China, and France. Their records of achievements, awards, honors, leadership, employment, and service indicate students who will individually and collectively uphold the fine tradition of William & Mary Law School.
- Median LSAT: 163 (75th/25th: 164/157)*
- Median undergraduate GPA: 3.75 (75th/25th: 3.85/3.48)*
- Class Size: 187
- Average age: 23
- Age range: 20 to 31
- 20% of students identify themselves as students of color
- Total applicants: 4,036
The Class of 2020 attended 127 different undergraduate institutions, 9 in Virginia and 119 in other locations. Ten members of the class have earned advanced degrees.
The leading Virginia undergraduate institutions were:
- University of Virginia
- College of William & Mary
Other undergraduate institutions with multiple matriculants include:
- Baylor University
- Bridgewater College
- Brigham Young University
- Christopher Newport University
- Elon University
- Florida State University
- George Washington University
- Indiana University
- James Madison University
- Occidental College
- Old Dominion University
- Pennsylvania State University
- Rutgers University
- State University of New York - Geneseo
- Syracuse University
- Temple University
- University of California - Los Angeles
- University of Central Florida
- University of Florida
- University of Georgia
- University of Kentucky
- University of Notre Dame
- University of Pittsburgh
- University of South Carolina
- University of Wisconsin
- Utah State University
- Virginia Tech
- Vanderbilt University
- Washington and Lee University
Political science, history, psychology, English, economics, and finance are the predominant majors of the Class of 2020. Many other disciplines are represented and include accounting, biochemistry, biology, chemical engineering, classics, journalism, mathematics, music, philosophy and Spanish. Ten members of the class have graduate degrees including an M.A. in Latin American/Caribbean Studies from New York University, an M.P.P. from the University of Virginia, an M.S. in biochemistry from Johns Hopkins, an M.S. in health care administration from Oklahoma State University, and a Ph.D. in pharmacy from the University of the Sciences of Philadelphia. Others have advanced degrees in clinical psychology, human nutrition, humanities, international business and secondary education.
Members of the Class of 2020 come to William & Mary with a variety of different experiences.
- Fifty-five percent of the class has full-time work experience, including work in the private sector, federal government, non-profit organizations, and the legal profession.
- Five members served or are serving in the military.
- Students were active in student life, serving as student-body presidents, organization leaders, fraternity and sorority officers, college ambassadors, and mock-trial-team captains.
- Members have served in Teach for America and AmeriCorps and many have been involved in mentoring and community service. Seven members of the class are Eagle Scouts.
- The class includes twenty varsity athletes. Others are talented musicians and performers.
In addition to the Class of 2020 J.D. candidates, 16 students joined William & Mary Law School for study of the American Legal System as LL.M. candidates. These new members of the Law School community are citizens of Bulgaria, China, Italy and Saudi Aribia. One is a U.S. permanent resident from Afghanistan. Most have been trained in law in their home nations, and we are excited for the contributions and added understanding that they bring to William & Mary.
*First-year students enrolled as of August 17, 2017.