We share the company of a select group of law schools based on combined LSAT scores and GPAs of their student bodies.
- The median undergraduate GPA for the Class of 2022 was 3.76 and the median LSAT score was 163. The Law School selected these students from 3,302 applicants.
- Sixteen members of the Class of 2022 have earned advanced degrees and 55 percent of the class had full-time work experience before beginning their legal studies.
Members of the 2019-20 student body earned their undergraduate degrees at 332 colleges and universities. These students hail from 47 states, the District of Columbia, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and 14 countries.
Exceptional Skills and Training
William & Mary is among the leaders in preparing practice-ready law graduates.
- Our Legal Practice Program includes eight full-time writing faculty who help students master legal writing. In the program, students work in small classes with a member of the Legal Writing faculty, a practicing attorney, a teaching assistant, and law librarians. In the first year, students concentrate on objective and persuasive writing, as well as other practical skills necessary for successful law practice. In the second year, students choose a specialized, upper-level course of study, such as criminal or civil practice or appellate advocacy.
- Our nine clinics and one practicum help students hone their skills representing clients, with training and supervision provided by licensed attorneys.
- Our externship program enhances our students' practical and professional skills.
Broad Geographic Interests
Our alumni can be found around the world. More than 8,000 William & Mary law graduates live and work in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, and 45 other countries. They are leaders in private practice, the judiciary, business, education, public interest organizations, and government.
Significant Co-Curricular Accomplishments
- Our Alternative Dispute Resolution, Moot Court, and National Trial teams have proven to be formidable competitors at tournaments around the nation.
- Ten of our students have received awards from the Burton Foundation in recognition of their excellence in legal writing. The foundation recognized William & Mary with its Law School Record of Distinction Award, which is given to schools that have had student winners for three or more years.
- Through work on our five well-respected, student-edited journals, students hone their writing skills while contributing to the world of legal scholarship.
Commitment to Public Service
Law School summer public service fellowships assist students volunteering for government agencies and nonprofit organizations.
- Approximately 100 students receive fellowships each year.
- Fellows have worked throughout the United States and in Africa, Asia, Europe, and South America.
- The Virginia State Bar has honored five of our students with the Oliver White Hill Law Student Pro Bono Award.