Updated by Michael Umberger
Some resources on this page are subscription databases that require a W&M ID and password for off-campus access. Use Proxy Authentication for off-campus access to library resources.
Lexis Advance, WestlawNext, and Bloomberg Law require individual IDs and passwords for both off-campus and on-campus access.
To search for books, journals, and audiovisual materials held by William & Mary libraries, use the online catalog.
To find corporate and securities law materials, use the default search with keywords or search the catalog by subject headings such as:
- Antitrust law--United States
- Commercial Law
- Consolidation and merger of corporations--United States
- Corporations--Finance--United States
- Corporation law--United States
- Directors of corporations--Legal status, laws, etc.--United States
- Securities--United States
- Securities and Disclosure
Remember that you can search by materials relevant to a particular jurisdiction by adding the location to a keyword search. For example, searching for [Virginia corporations ] or [Virginia securities ] will bring up Virginia corporate law or securities law materials, respectively.
Browsing the Collection
You can also find corporate and securities law resources by browsing the shelves within the Library of Congress call number range KF1384 to KF1439.
The following treatises on corporate and securities law can be found in the library at the call number listed and, when available online, on Westlaw or Lexis:
- Corporate Law
- Balotti, R. Franklin and Jesse A. Finkelstein, The Delaware Law of Corporations & Business Organizations. 3rd ed. KFD213 B35 1998 (Westlaw)
- Blumberg, Phillip I., et al., Blumberg on Corporate Groups. 2nd ed. KF1465 B59 2005
- Cox, James D., and Thomas Lee Hazen, Cox and Hazen on Corporations. KF1414 C69 2003 (Reserve)
- Fletcher, William M., Fletcher Cyclopedia of the Law of Corporations. KF 1384 .F55 (Westlaw)
- Fletcher Corporation Forms Annotated (Westlaw)
- Knepper, William E., and Dan A. Bailey, Liability of Corporate Officers and Directors. 8th ed. KF1423 K58 2009 (Lexis)
- Smiddy, Linda O. and Lawrence A. Cunningham, Soderquist on Corporate Law and Practice. 4th ed. KF1414 S57 2012
- Thompson, Robert B., O'Neal and Thompson's Close Corporations and LLCs: Law and Practice. Rev. 3rd ed. KF1466 O52 2004 (Westlaw)
- Bloomenthal, Harold S., Securities Law Handbook. 2012 ed. KF1439 B55 2012 (Westlaw)
- Bloomenthal, Harold S. and Samuel Wolff, Securities and Federal Corporate Law. 2nd ed. KF1439 S4 v.3 1998 (Westlaw)
- Brown, Gary M., Soderquist on the Securities Laws. 5th ed. KF1440 S63 2006
- Johnson, Charles J., and Joseph McLaughlin, Corporate Finance and the Securities Laws. 4th ed. KF1428 J58 2006
- Loss, Louis, and Joel Seligman, Fundamentals of Securities Regulation. 4th ed [i.e., 5th] KF1439 L6 2004
- Loss, Louis, Joel Seligman, and Troy Paredes, Securities Regulation. 4th ed. KF1070 L62 2006
The law library's Reserve Collection, located behind the Circulation Desk, contains a number of study aids for corporate and securities law:
- Bainbridge, Stephen M., Corporate Law (Concepts & Insights Series). KF1416 B35 2009 (Reserve)
- Gevurtz, Franklin A., Corporation Law (Hornbook Series). 2nd ed. KF1414 G48 2010 (Reserve)
- Haas, Jeffrey J., Corporate Finance in a Nutshell. KF1428 Z9 H22 2011 (Reserve)
- Hamilton, Robert W., The Law of Corporations in a Nutshell. 5th ed. KF1414.3 H35 2011 (Reserve)
- Hazen, Thomas Lee, The Law of Securities Regulation (Hornbook Series). 6th ed. KF1439 H39 2009 (Reserve)
- Hazen, Thomas L., Securities Regulation in a Nutshell. 10th ed. KF 1440 .R37 2009 (Reserve)
- Oesterle, Dale A., Mergers and Acquisitions in a Nutshell. 2nd ed. KF1417 Z9 O34 2006 (Reserve)
- Soderquist, Larry D. and Theresa A. Gabaldon, Securities Law (Concepts & Insights Series) 4th ed. KF1440 .S64 2011 (Reserve)
These works and others may also be viewed online through the West Study Aids Subscription, which includes titles from the following series:
- Black Letter Outline
- Concise Hornbook Series
- Gilbert Law Summaries
- Law Stories
- Quick Review Series
Indexes to Journal Articles
LegalTrac (1980-present, updated daily)
- Indexes articles from nearly 900 legal journals, bar association publications, law reviews, and legal newspapers. Includes book reviews.
- Also partially available in print under the title Current Law Index. Z66 .C87 (Reference) (1980-2007, no longer updated)
- Potential Subject Headings:
- Acquisitions and mergers
- Antitrust law--interpretation and construction
- Antitrust law--litigation
- Corporate Directors--laws, regulations, etc
- Corporate Directors--litigation
- Corporation Law--interpretation and construction
- Corporation Law--litigation
- Corporation Law--practice
- Corporations--Finance--laws, regulations, etc.--United States
- Securities law--interpretation and construction
- Securities--United States
- Tort Liability of corporations
Selected Corporate & Securities Law Journals
- The Business Lawyer (WestlawNext)
- Columbia Business Law Review (WestlawNext)
- Delaware Journal of Corporate Law (WestlawNext)
- Fordham Journal of Corporate and Financial Law (WestlawNext)
- Journal of Business & Securities Law (WestlawNext)
- Journal of Corporation Law (WestlawNext)
- Securities Regulation Law Journal (WestlawNext)
The Law Library subscribes to a number of electronic databases that include resources for research in corporate law and securities law.
Resources in corporate and securities law can be found by navigating these paths from the Lexis Advance home page:
- Browse Topics > Business & Corporate Law
- Browse Topics > Securities Law
These sections are organized into topics within each particular practice area. Lexis Advance allows users to either search within these topics or view documents (such as cases, legislation, administrative materials, secondary resources, and company information) related to the topics.
Corporate and securities law resources on WestlawNext can be found by following these paths from the WestlawNext home page:
- Topics > Corporations
- Topics > Securities
WestlawNext organizes these topics by type of documents (such as cases, statutes, regulations, secondary sources, and forms). Clicking on any document type allows you to either search within that document type or select individual documents by topic.
CCH IntelliConnect has resources organized in the following corporate and securities law practice areas:
- Corporate Governance
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Securities (Federal)
- Securities (Litigation)
- Securities (State)
Within each practice area, there are news resources, cases, statutes, administrative materials, and finding aids.
Bloomberg BNA has a couple libraries that focus on aspects of corporate and securities law:
- BNA's Corporate Governance Library (Includes a manual on corporate governance law, database of relevant statutes, and news on recent developments in corporate governance law.)
- BNA's Corporate Practice Library (Includes a collection of BNA Portfolios, reports on various legal topics related to corporate law, as well as relevant statutes and news of recent developments in corporate law.)
Additionally, there are a number of BNA Newsletters that focus on corporate and securities law:
- Corporate Accountability & Fraud Daily
- Corporate Accountability Report
- Corporate Counsel Weekly
- Securities Law Daily
- Securities Regulation and Law Report
Legal Research Sites
- FindLaw Corporate Counsel Center
- A free search engine, resource directory, and news center for corporate legal matters. Also provides links to specific business and securities sites.
- Securities and Exchange Commision (SEC)
- This is the official gateway to SEC information. Includes abundant links to private and industry sites, regulation actions, and securities litigation.
- State and Local Government on the Net
- You can connect with state government departments concerned with registration and regulation of corporations and securities here.
- Association of Corporate Counsel
- A national association of in-house counsel which is noted for its aggressive cost containment programs and, increasingly, for lobbying for remuneration for house counsel that meet or exceed typical compensation for outside counsel.
- International Capital Market Association
- This group does for the international securities market what the NASD does for the US market. Self-regulatory information and more, focused mainly on Europe.
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
- Formerly known as the National Association of Securities Dealers (NASD). The association for and regulator of securities dealers, as distinct from the stock exchanges. Significant self policing and customer arbitration efforts originate with FINRA.
- International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO)
- An association of national securities regulators. Good site to find the regulator for a particular country.
- National Securities Clearing Corporation
- This entity is the inter dealer cooperative through which buys and sells are cleared at the end of each trading session.
- North American Securities Administrators Association
- This organization focuses on state securities agencies and investors and offers information on blue sky laws and protection from securities fraud.
Additional associations may be found in the Encyclopedia of Associations (available on Lexis Advance).