1. Faculty and scholars with a letter from their institution may have access to materials in the Rare Book collection.
2. Rare books are available for the following purposes only: (a) for research, when no reprint or digital version of the work is available, or (b) when a reprint will not adequately provide the information needed.
3. Researchers must make an advance appointment. Access to the collection is from 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. weekdays. Users must complete and sign a register form which is kept on file.
4. Researchers must have specific citations to materials. Access is limited to 10 books per day. Only one book may be used at a time. Access to certain materials may be restricted because of their fragile condition.
5. Researchers generally will have to use materials in the Technical Services Department. Material may never be left unattended. Any time the work area is left temporarily, all material must be hand delivered to the Head of Technical Services or the Circulation Desk assistant.
6. Materials may not be photocopied.
7. Only pencils are allowed when working with Rare Book Room materials.
8. Food and drink are not allowed in the Nicholas J. St. George Rare Book Room or areas where these materials are used.
9. Each day before 4:45 p.m., materials must be returned directly to the staff member who retrieved the item, or to their designated representative. The designated representative may be any member of the reference staff, or the Head of Technical Services.
10. Any exceptions to these policies must be made by the Director of the Law Library.