Bankruptcy Law Research
By Fred Dingledy
Updated March 2013
- Journal Articles
- Looseleaf Services & Newspapers
- W&M Databases
- Worldwide Web Resources
Some resources on this page are subscription databases that require a W&M ID and password for off-campus access. See Off-Campus Access to Library Resources for more information.
Lexis and Westlaw require individual IDs and passwords for both off-campus and on-campus access
To search for books, journals, and audiovisual materials held by William & Mary libraries, use the online catalog.Search Tips:
- Subject Queries--
- Banking Law--United States
- Bankruptcy--United States
- Debtor and Creditor--United States
- Collection Laws—United States
- Collection Agencies--Law and Legislation—United States
- Consumer Credit--Law and Legislation--United States
- Corporate Reorganizations--United States
- Trusts and Trustees--United States
- Remember that individual jurisdictions can be searched, e.g. bankruptcy and Virginia.
Library of Congress Call Numbers for Bankruptcy Law: KF1501 to KF1544. Browse the shelves under these call numbers to locate relevant treatises.
Other Libraries - Links to other libraries and library catalogs available through the web
Collier on Bankruptcy. 16th ed. KF1524 C633 Lexis: MATBEN;COLBKR
Eisenberg, Theodore, ed. Debtor-Creditor Law. Lexis: MATBEN;DBCRL
Epstein, David G. Bankruptcy and Related Law in a Nutshell. 8th ed. KF1501 .E67 (Reserve)
Epstein, David G. and Steve H. Nickles. Principles of Bankruptcy Law. KF1524.3 .E67
Hobbs, Robert J. Fair Debt Collection. 7th ed. KF1539 .H62 (Reserve)
Norton Bankruptcy Law and Practice 3rd. KF1524 .N67 Westlaw: NRTN-BLP
Sommer, Henry J. Consumer Bankruptcy Law and Practice. 10th ed. KF1527 .S58
Indexes to Journal Articles
- Bankruptcy Estates
- Bankruptcy Law
- Bankruptcy Reorganizations
- Business Failures
- Debtor and Creditor
- Default (Finance)
- Chapter 11
- Collection Law
- Consumer Credit
- Municipal Bankruptcy
Indexes articles from more than 850 legal journals, bar association publications, law reviews, and legal newspapers. Includes book reviews.Options for accessing this index include:
- Online: 1981-Present. Updated daily.
- Westlaw: LRI (1980-present; contains links to full-text articles where available)
- Lexis: LAWREV;LGLIND (1977-present; updated weekly)
- Print: Current Legal Index (1980-present; updated monthly; located in Reference (Index Table))
For more information on finding law review articles, including older ones, see Locating Legal and Non-Legal Journal Articles.Full Text Articles
- American Bankruptcy Institute Journal and Law Review, American Bankruptcy Law Journal, and Bankruptcy Developments Journal combined (BKRTCY;ALLPUB)
Articles on bankruptcy developments and related topics of imporance to academics and practitioners.
- Bankruptcy DataSource (COMPNY;BDS)
Data, news, and filed plans for companies undergoing bankruptcy.
- Bankruptcy Law Review Articles (LAWREV;BKRTLR)
Selected Bankruptcy related law review articles.
- Law Reviews, combined (LAWREV;ALLREV)
Contains articles dedicated to scholarly reveiew of legal topics which are of interest to practicioners and academics.
- LexisNexis Bankruptcy Report (BKRTCY;MEABKR)
News on bankruptcy filings and related litigation.
- Troubled Company Reporter (BKRTCY;TCRPTR)
News on U.S. companies with $10M+ in assets that are reorganizing or under financial distress.
- Wall Street Journal (MEGANW;WSJNL)
Articles on legal and financial issues of national interest.
- American Bankruptcy Institute Journal (AMBKRIJ)
Contains articles on bankruptcy developments of national interest.
- American Bankruptcy Institute Law Review (AMBKRILR)
Reviews important bankruptcy issues of interest to academics and practitioners.
- American Bankruptcy Law Journal (AMBKRLJ)
Includes documents on bankruptcy developments and other related topics of interest to students, academics, and practicioners.
- New York Times (NYT)
Articles on legal and financial issues of national interest.
- Bankruptcy Service: Lawyers Edition, Lawyers Co-operative Pub. Co.
- BNA's Bankruptcy Law Daily, BNA.
- BNA's Bankruptcy Law Reporter, BNA.
- Norton Bankruptcy Law Adviser, Callaghan & Co.
- West's Bankruptcy Newsletter, West Publishing Co.
- West's Bankruptcy Reporter, West Publishing Co.
SPECIAL SUBJECTS KF1515 .A2 W47
- LawTrio (Legal Looseleafs in Print and Legal Newsletters in Print)
Directory of bankruptcy-related resources available on Lexis. Includes sub-directories for analytical treatises, briefs, cases, forms, law journals, news, and statutes.
Bankruptcy Directory ContentPage
Directory of bankruptcy-related resources available on Westlaw. Includes sub-directories for analytical treatises, cases, filings, law journals, news, and statutes.
The website of the American Bankruptcy Institute. Contains links to information on U.S. bankruptcy legislation and bankruptcy news, as well as a very useful statistics section.
The Federal Judiciary - U.S. Bankruptcy Courts
Part of the website of the Administrative Office of the United States Courts, this section for Bankruptcy Courts has links to statistical reports on judicial business which also includes bankruptcy proceedings. Includes links to court fee schedules, bankruptcy forms, and websites of individual bankruptcy courts, as well as information related to the 2005 Bankruptcy Reform Act.
Aimed at the public, this section of Findlaw discusses the basics of bankruptcy (who it's for, difference between chapters 7 and 13), and has links to other resources. Also has a section discussing the changes under the 2005 bankruptcy reforms.
Division of the U.S. Department of Justice charged with overseeing the administration of bankruptcy cases. Has links to bankruptcy factsheets, trustee-issued rules, and the U.S. Trustee Manual, among other items.
American Bankruptcy Institute
44 Canal Center Plaza, Suite 400
Alexandria, VA 22314
tel: (703) 739-0800
Non-partisan organization devoted to bankruptcy research and education. Members include attorneys, bankers, professors, and various other bankruptcy professionals.
Commercial Law League of America
205 N. Michigan, Suite 2212
Chicago, IL 60601
tel: (800) 978-CLLA (2552)
North America's leading organization of professionals in the field of collections, creditor's rights, and bankruptcy. Membership open to law students.
National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees
One Windsor Cove, Suite 305
Columbia, SC 29223
tel: (800) 445-8629
Organization for court-appointed trustees and others involved in bankruptcy proceedings. Offers continuing education programs.
National Consumer Law Center
7 Winthrop Sq.
Boston, MA 02110-1245
tel: (617) 542-8010
Organization dedicated to helping consumers, attorneys, and public officials use consumer laws to promote marketplace justice. Publishes several very useful books for attorneys in fields related to bankruptcy, and also monitors bankruptcy legislation.
Other associations may be found in the Encyclopedia of Associations.