Updated by Michael Umberger
Some resources on this page are subscription databases that require a W&M ID and password for off-campus access. Use Proxy Authentication for off-campus access to library resources.
Lexis Advance, WestlawNext, and Bloomberg Law require individual IDs and passwords for both off-campus and on-campus access.
To search for books, journals, and audiovisual materials held by William & Mary libraries, use the online catalog.
To find food and drug law materials, use the default search with keywords or search the catalog by subject headings such as:
- Cosmetics > Law and legislation
- Drugs > Law and legislation
- Drugs > Testing
- Drug courts
- Food > Labelling > Law and legislation
- Food > Standards
- Food > Safety measures
- Food additives > Law and legislation
- Food law and legislation > United States
- United States > Food and Drug Administration
Remember that you can search by materials relevant to a particular jurisdiction by adding the location to a keyword search. For example, searching for [Virginia food law] or [Virginia drug testing] will bring up Virginia food law or drug law testing materials, respectively.
Browsing the Collection
You can also find food and drug law resources by browsing the shelves within the Library of Congress call number range KF3871. Materials related to the food service regulation and the hospitality industry can be found around call number KF2042. Additionally, pharmacy regulation materials can be found at KF2915.
The following treatises on food and drug regulation can be found in the library at the call number listed and, when available online, on Westlaw or Lexis:
- Abood, Richard R., Pharmacy Practice and the Law (6th ed. 2011) KF2915 P4 A93 2011
- Barth, Stephen, Hospitality Law: Managing Legal Issues in the Hospitality Industry (3rd ed. 2009) KF2042 H6 H67 2009
- Curtis, Patricia A., Guide to Food Laws and Regulations (1st ed. 2005) KF3870 .C87 2005
- DuBoff, Leonard D. The Law (in Plain English) for Restaurants and Others in the Food Industry (2006) KF2042 .H6 D83 2006 (Self-Help & Stacks)
- Food and Drug Dictionary: Official Regulatory Terms KF3867.5 G68 2003
- The Future Control of Food: A Guide to International Negotiations and Rules on Intellectual Property, Biodiversity and Food Security (Geoff Tansey & Tasmin Rajotte eds., 2008) K3926 .F88 2008
- Fontin, Neal D., Food Regulation: Law, Science, Policy, and Practice (2009) KF3875 F67 2009
- Jasper, Margaret C., Prescription Drugs (2005) KF3885 .J37 2005 (Self-Help)
- Konnor, Delbert D., Pharmacy Law Desk Reference (2007) KF2915 .P4 P533 2007
- Drug Courts: a New Approach to Treatment and Rehabilitation (Lessenger, James E., ed. 2007) KF3890 .D78 2007
- O'Reilly, James, Food and Drug Administration (3rd ed. 2007 & semiannual supp.) KF3871 O72 2007 (WestlawNext)
- Piña, Kenneth R. & Wayne L. Pines, A Practical Guide to Food and Drug Law and Regulation (2002) KF1900 .Z9 P73 2002 (Reserve)
- Upadhye, Shashank, Generic Pharmaceutical Patent & FDA Law (2010) (WestlawNext)
Administrative materials related to food and drug law, especially those produced by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are widely available on government and commercial websites:
- Code of Federal Regulations (Title 21 covers Food and Drugs) (FDSys) (eCFR -- Title 21) (Lexis Advance) (WestlawNext)
- FDA Enforcement Reports (FDA.gov) (Westlaw Classic) (CCH IntelliConnect)
- FDA Reports, Manuals, and Forms (FDA.gov) (WestlawNext) (CCH IntelliConnect)
- FDA Guidance Documents (FDA.gov) (WestlawNext) (CCH IntelliConnect)
- FDA Memoranda of Understanding (FDA.gov)
- FDA Warning Letters (FDA.gov) (CCH IntelliConnect)
Indexes to Journal Articles
LegalTrac (1980-present, updated daily)
- Indexes articles from nearly 900 legal journals, bar association publications, law reviews, and legal newspapers. Includes book reviews.
- Also partially available in print under the title Current Law Index. Z66 .C87 (Reference) (1980-2007, no longer updated)
- Potential Subject Headings:
- United States and Food and Drug Administration
- Food law and legislation – United States
- Drugs – Testing
Selected Food and Drug Law Journals
- Westlaw Journal Pharmaceutical (WestlawNext)
- Drug Law Weekly (Westlaw Classic)
- Emerging Drugs and Devices: Mealey's Litigation Report (Lexis Advance)
- FDA Consumer (Westlaw Classic)
- FDA Week (WestlawNext) (Lexis Advance)
- Food and Drug Law Journal (Lexis Advance) (HeinOnline)
- Health Policy Tracking Service Issue Briefs & Snapshots: Pharmaceuticals (Westlaw Classic)
- Journal of Food Law & Policy (WestlawNext) (HeinOnline)
- Pharma Law Weekly (Westlaw Classic)
The Law Library subscribes to a number of electronic databases that include resources for research in corporate law and securities law.
Resources in food and drug law can be found by navigating these paths from the Lexis Advance home page:
- Browse Topics > Antitrust & Trade Law > Consumer Protection > Deceptive Labeling & Packaging > Federal Food, Drug, & Cosmetic Act
- Browse Topics > Governments > Agriculture & Food
- Browse Topics > Public Health & Welfare Law > Food & Nutrition
These sections are organized into topics within each particular practice area. Lexis Advance allows users to either search within these topics or view documents (such as cases, legislation, administrative materials, secondary resources, and company information) related to the topics.
Corporate and securities law resources on WestlawNext can be found by following these paths from the WestlawNext home page:
- Topics > Health Law
WestlawNext organizes topics by type of documents (such as cases, statutes, regulations, secondary sources, and forms). Clicking on any document type allows you to either search within that document type or select individual documents by topic.
Additionally, Westlaw has a number of non-legal sources on food and drug regulation that may provide useful background information for legal researchers:
- Drug News & Perspectives (Westlaw Classic)
- Food & Drug Packaging (Westlaw Classic)
- Foods, Beverage & Tobacco Industry News (WestlawNext)
- Pharma Business Week (WestlawNext)
- Pharma Company Insight (WestlawNext)
- Physicians' Desk Reference: Prescription Drugs 2011 (Westlaw Classic)
CCH IntelliConnect has the following library relating to food and drug law:
- Food, Drugs, and Devices (a collection of primary sources, explanations, annotations, indexes, and news resources, including the Food, Drug, & Cosmetics Reports)
Bloomberg BNA's Health Care resources include the Pharmaceutical Law & Industry Report, a weekly source of legal news and analysis from the pharmaceutical industry.
The Earl Gregg Swem Library has a list of Health & Medicine subscription databases that require a William & Mary ID and password. Among these databases are:
- MEDLINE (Proquest) (articles relating to medical research, clinical practice, administration, policy issues, dentistry, nursing, and health care.)
- Health Source -- Consumer Edition (EBSCO) (articles on health topics, including the medical sciences, food sciences & nutrition, childcare, sports medicine, and general health.)
American Meat Institute
AMI is a trade association representing the meat and poultry industry. Its Web site includes news, fact sheets, charts, and information on regulations and legislation.
Provides regulatory, legislative and business information regarding industries regulated by the FDA. Offers several newsletters on different aspects of regulation.
Food and Drug Administration
This is the official site of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Food and Drug Law Institute
FDLI is a non-profit organization that aims to offer a neutral forum for discussion of food and drug law and public policy. Its Web site offers information about FDLI, a guide to food, drug and medical acronyms, and free daily news briefings via e-mail.
Institute of Food Technologists
The Institute's Web site offers news, reports, and full-text periodicals.
International Food Information Council Foundation (IFIC)
IFIC collects and disseminates "scientific information on food safety, nutrition and health." Its Web site includes fact sheets, a newsletter, and surveys.