A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Lynda L. Butler
Chancellor Professor of Law, Emerita, and Director, William & Mary Property Rights Project
- Property's Problem with Extremes, 55 Wake Forest L. Rev. 1 (2020). SSRN.
- Murr v. Wisconsin and the Inherent Limits of Regulatory Takings, 47 Fla. St. L. Rev. 99 (2020). SSRN.
- Property as a Management Institution, 82 Brook. L. Rev. 1215 (2017). SSRN.
- The Horne Dilemma: Protecting Property's Richness and Frontiers, 75 Md. L. Rev. 787 (2016). SSRN.
- The Governance Function of Constitutional Property, 48 U.C. Davis L. Rev. 1687 (2015). SSRN.
- The Resilience of Property, 55 Ariz. L. Rev. 847 (2013). SSRN.
- The Pathology of Property Norms: Living Within Nature's Boundaries, 73 S. Cal. L. Rev. 927 (2000). SSRN.
- The Politics of Takings: Choosing the Appropriate Decisionmaker, 38 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 749 (1997). Online.
Alan J. Meese
Ball Professor of Law
- Federalism, Free Competition, and Sherman Act Preemption of State Restraints, 16 Va. L. & Bus. Rev. 115 (2021). SSRN.
- Requiem for a Lightweight: How NCAA Continues to Distort Antitrust Doctrine, 56 Wake Forest L. Rev. 1103 (2021). SSRN.
- Will the Supreme Court Recover its Own Fumble? How Alston Can Repair the Damage From NCAA's Sports League Exemption, 11 Wake Forest L. Rev. Online 70 (2021). SSRN.
- Wickard Through an Antitrust Lens, 60 Wm. L. Rev. 1335 (2019) (invited submission). SSRN.
- The Rule of Reason’s Prima Facie Case: Did Harvard Get it Right?, 70 U. Penn. L. Rev. Online ___ (forthcoming 2021) (invited submission).
Antitrust Regulation and the Federal-State Balance: Restoring the Original Design, 70 Am. U. L. Rev. ____ (2020) (forthcoming).
Co-author, Were the 1982 Merger Guidelines Old News?, 13 J. Comp. L. & Econ. 577 (Oxford 2017)(with Sarah L. Stafford). Online.
- Justice Scalia and Sherman Act Textualism, 92 Notre Dame L. Rev. 2013 (2017) (invited submission). Online.
- In Praise of All or Nothing Dichotomous Categories: Why Antitrust Law Should Reject the Quick Look, 104 Geo. L.J. 835 (2016). SSRN.
- Co-author, Hobby Lobby, Corporate Law and the Theory of the Firm: Why For-Profit Corporations are RFRA Persons, 127 Harvard L. Rev. F. 273 (2014) (with Nathan B. Oman). SSRN.
- Antitrust Federalism and State Restraints of Interstate Commerce: An Essay for Professor Hovenkamp, 100 Iowa L. Rev. 2161 (2015) (invited submission for Centennial Symposium). SSRN.
- Antitrust, Regulatory Harm and Economic Liberty, 99 Iowa L. Rev. Bulletin 115 (2014). SSRN.
- Robert Bork's Forgotten Role in the Transaction Cost Revolution, 79 Antitrust L.J. 953 (2014). SSRN.
- Competition Policy and the Great Depression: Lessons Learned and a New Way Forward, 23 Cornell J.L. & Pub. Pol'y 255 (2014). SSRN.
- Assorted Anti-Leegin Canards: Why Resistance is Misguided and Futile, 40 Fla. St. L. Rev. 908 (2013). SSRN.
- Market Power and Contract Formation: How Outmoded Economic Theory Still Distorts Antitrust Doctrine, 88 Notre Dame L. Rev. 1291 (2013). SSRN.
- Reframing the (False?) Choice Between Purchaser Welfare and Total Welfare: How the Partial Equilibrium Trade-off Model Distorts Normative Antitrust Debate, 81 Fordham L. Rev. 2197 (2013). (invited submission) SSRN.
- Standard Oil as Lochner's Trogan Horse, 85 S. Cal. L. Rev. 783 (2012). SSRN.
- Section 2 Enforcement and the Great Recession: Why Less (Enforcement) Might Mean More (GDP), 80 Fordham L. Rev. 1633 (2012). SSRN.
- Reframing Antitrust in Light of Scientific Revolution: Accounting for Transaction Costs in Rule of Reason Analysis, 62 Hastings L.J. 457 (2010). SSRN.
- Debunking the Purchaser Welfare Account of Section 2 of the Sherman Act: How Harvard Brought Us a Total Welfare Standard and Why We Should Keep It, 85 N.Y.U. L. Rev. 659 (2010). SSRN.
- Competition and Market Failure in the Antitrust Jurisprudence of Justice Stevens, 74 Fordham L. Rev. 1775 (2006). SSRN.
- Exclusive Dealing, the Theory of the Firm, and Raising Rivals' Costs: Toward a New Synthesis, 50 Antitrust Bulletin 371 (2005). SSRN.
- Market Failure and Non-Standard Contracting: How The Ghost of Perfect Competition Still Haunts Antitrust, 1 J. Competition Law and Economics 21 (2005). SSRN.
- Monopolization, Exclusion and the Theory of the Firm, 89 Minn. L. Rev. 743 (2005). SSRN.
- Property, Aspen, and Refusals to Deal, 73 Antitrust L. J. 81 (2005). SSRN.
- Property Rights and Intrabrand Restraints, 89 Cornell L. Rev. 553 (2004). SSRN.
- Intrabrand Restraints and the Theory of the Firm, 83 N.C. L. Rev. 5 (2004). SSRN.
- Price Theory, Competition, and the Rule of Reason, 2003 Ill. L. Rev. 77. SSRN.
- The Team Production Theory of Corporate Law: A Critical Assessment, 43 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 1629 (2002). SSRN.
- Don't Disintegrate Microsoft (Yet), 9 Geo. Mason L. Rev. (2001). SSRN.
- Farewell to the Quick Look: Redefining the Scope and Content of the Rule of Reason, 68 Antitrust L. J. 461 (2000). SSRN.
- Liberty and Antitrust in the Formative Era, 79 B.U. L. Rev. 1 (1999). SSRN.
- Monopoly Bundling in Cyberspace: How Many Products Does Microsoft Sell?, 44 Antitrust Bulletin 65 (1999). SSRN.
- Regulation of Franchisor Opportunism and the Production of the Institutional Framework: Federal Monopoly or Competition Between the States?, 23 Harv. J.L. & Pub. Pol. 61 (1999). SSRN.
- Tying Meets the New Institutional Economics: Farewell to the Chimera of Forcing, 146 U. Penn. L. Rev. 1 (1997). SSRN.
- Price Theory and Vertical Restraints: A Misunderstood Relation, 45 UCLA L. Rev. 143 (1997). SSRN.
- Will, Judgment and Economic Liberty: Mr. Justice Souter and the Mistranslation of the Due Process Clause, 41 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. (1999). SSRN.
- Antitrust Balancing in a (Near) Coasean World: The Case of Franchise Tying Contracts, 95 Mich. L. Rev. 111 (1996). SSRN.
- Limitations on Corporate Speech: Protection for Shareholders, or Abridgement of Expression?, 2 Wm. & Mary Bill Rts. J. 305 (1993). SSRN.
- Inadvertent Waiver of the Attorney-Client Privilege by Disclosure of Documents: An Economic Analysis, 23 Creighton L. Rev. 513 (1990). SSRN.
Nathan B. Oman
Rollins Professor of Law
- Markets and Contractual Fairness, 17 Europ. Rev. Contract L. 211 (2021). Online.
- Doux Commerce in the City of God: Trade and the Mormon Idea of Zion, in Reapproaching Zion: New Essays on Mormon Social Thought 131 (Nathan B. Oman & Samuel Brunson eds., Common Consent Press 2020). SSRN.
- Contract Law and the Liberalism of Fear, 20 Theo. Inquiries in L. 381 (2019). SSRN.
- Beyond Gift and Bargain: Some Suggestions for Increasing Kidney Donations by Generating Trust in NEAD Chains, 81 Law & Contemp. Probs. 37 (2018) (invited submission). Online.
- Commerce, Religion, and the Rule of Law, 6 J.L. Rel. & St. 213 (2018). SSRN.
- Reconsidering Contractual Consent: Why We Shouldn't Worry Too Much About Boilerplate and Other Puzzles, 83 Brook. L. Rev. 215 (2017). SSRN.
- The Dignity of Commerce: Markets and the Moral Foundations of Contract Law, University of Chicago Press 2017.
- Doux Commerce, Religion, and the Limits of Antidiscrimination Law, 92 Ind. L.J. 693 ( 2016). SSRN.
- Need for a Law of Church and Market, 64 Duke L.J. Online 141 (2015). SSRN.
- Co-Author, Hobby Lobby, Corporate Law and the Theory of the Firm: Why For-Profit Corporations are RFRA Persons, 127 Harvard L. Rev. F. 273 (2014) (with Alan Meese). SSRN.
- Markets as a Moral Foundation of Contract Law, 98 Iowa L. Rev. 183 (2012). SSRN.
- A Pragmatic Defense of Contract Law, 98 Georgetown L. J. 77 (2009). SSRN.
- The Failure of Economic Interpretations of Contract Damages, 64 Wash. & Lee L. Rev. 829 (2007). SSRN.
- Book Review, Unity and Pluralism in Contract Law, 103 Mich. L. Rev. 1483 (2005). SSRN.
- Corporations and Autonomy Theories of Contract: A Critique of the New Lex Mercatoria, 82 Denv. U. L. Rev. 101 (2005). SSRN.
- Statutory Interpretation in Econotopia, 25 Pace L. Rev. 49 (2004). SSRN.
Professor of Economics, Public Policy and Law
- Co-author, Developing a Framework to Identify Local Business and Government Vulnerability to Sea-Level Rise: A Case Study of Coastal Virginia, 47 J. Coastal Management 44 (2019) (with Alexander D. Renaud). Online.
Co-author, The Clean Air Act Watch List and Federal Oversight of State Enforcement Efforts, 93 J. Envtl. Econ. & Management 170 (2019) (with Mary F. Evans). Online.
- Co-author, Were the 1982 Merger Guidelines Old News?, 13 J. Comp. L. & Econ. 577 (Oxford 2017) (with Alan J. Meese). Online.
- Environmental Management Systems and Compliance at Small and Lightly Regulated Facilities: Evidence from the New Hampshire Hazardous Waste Program, 49 J. Reg. Econ. 292 (2016). Springer.
- Standardization and the Impacts of Voluntary Program Participation: Evidence from Environmental Auditing, 43 Int'l Rev. L. & Econ. 10 (2015). Elsevier.
- Do Carrots Work? Examining the Effectiveness of EPA's Compliance Assistance Program, 31J. Pol'y Analysis & Mgmt. 533 (2012). Wiley Online.
- Private Policing of Environmental Performance: Does It Serve Public Goals?, 39 B.C. Envtl. Aff. L. Rev. 73 (2012). SSRN.
- Co-author, Do Environmental Audits Improve Long-Term Compliance: Evidence from Manufacturing Facilities in Michigan, 40 J. Reg. Econ. 279 (2011). Online.
- Outsourcing Enforcement: Principles to Guide Self-Policing Regimes, 33 Cardozo L. Rev. 2293 (2011). SSRN.
- Self-Policing in a Targeted Enforcement Regime, 74 S. Econ. Rev. 934 (2008). JSTOR.
- Can Consumers Enforce Environmental Regulations? The Role of the Market in Hazardous Waste Compliance, 31 J. Reg. Econ. 83 (2007). Springer.
- Should You Turn Yourself In? The Consequences of Environmental Self-Policing, 26 J. Pol'y Analysis & Mgmt. 305 (2007). Wiley Online.
- Does Self-Policing Help the Environment? EPA's Audit Policy and Hazardous Waste Compliance, 6 Vermont J. Envt. L. 1 (2005). Hein Online.
- Progress Toward Title IX Compliance: The Effect of Formal and Informal Enforcement Mechanisms, 85 Soc. Sci. Qtr. 1469 (2004). Wiley Online.
James Y. Stern
Professor of Law
Right on Time: First Possession in Property and Intellectual Property, 99 B.U. L. Rev. 395 (2019) (with Dolan Oliar). SSRN.
- The Essential Structure of Property Law, 115 Mich. L. Rev. 1167 (2017). SSRN.
- Property, Exclusivity, and Jurisdiction, 100 Va. L. Rev. 111 (2014). SSRN.
- Property's Constitution, 101 Cal. L. Rev. 277 (2013). SSRN.
- ABC v. Aereo and the Humble Judge, 9 NYU J.L. Liberty 81 (2015). SSRN.
- Indirect Purchaser Suits and Jurisdictional Competition, Global Comp. Rev. (2013). SSRN