Apply and be admitted to each program (admission to one program will not affect admission to the other).
- Apply to the American Studies Program by the Program's stated deadline.
- Apply to the Law School by March 1.
Typically, students in the joint program are already William & Mary JD students at the time of application to the M.A. program. So, if you’re accepted to the M.A. program and plan to attend, you will need to tell the Law School’s Associate Dean of Administration by May 15. If you’re accepted to the joint program simultaneously, you’ll need to tell the Admission Deans of both programs and you will begin the joint program at the Law School.
Plan of Study
- The first year is taken in the Law School. The first-year curriculum must be completed prior to beginning the other program.
- In the remaining two to three years, you will take courses in both programs. Typically, some of your elective law courses will compliment the nature of your work in American Studies and your joint degree will be truly integrated in nature.
- Earn 80 law credits.
- 6 specified (AS 551 and one elective) non-law credit hours will be applied to the law degree.
- 65 credits must be by a William & Mary Law School course graded by letter grade (i.e., A, B, C).
- Complete the first- and second-year Law School course requirements.
- Satisfy the Law School Major Paper Requirement.
- Earn a minimum cumulative law GPA of 2.0
- Comply with all M.A. in American Studies requirements
- 24 M.A. hours
- All other degree requirements including:
- A thesis
- AS 551 and 5 elective courses.
Tuition and Fees
- You will pay tuition and fees at the Law School rate for three years.
- You will pay tuition and fees at the Graduate Arts & Sciences rate for any remaining term needed to complete the M.A. degree.
- If you’re eligible, you can be considered for available scholarship funds at either school.
- If you’re eligible, you can receive up to three years of Law School-administered aid.
- If you receive Law School scholarship funds or aid, they are not available during the year you’re paying tuition to the other program.
- Educational loan applications are processed by the Office of Student Financial Aid for the College of William & Mary.