We share the company of a select group of law schools based on combined LSAT scores and GPAs of their student bodies.
- The median undergraduate GPA for the Class of 2016 was 3.73 and the median LSAT score was 164. The Law School selected these students from 5,857 applicants.
- Seven percent of the members of the Class of 2016 earned graduate degrees and 43 percent had full-time work experience before beginning their legal studies.
Members of the 2013-14 student body earned their undergraduate degrees at 311 colleges and universities. These students hail from 46 states, the District of Columbia, and six countries.
Exceptional Skills and Training
William & Mary is among the leaders in preparing practice-ready law graduates.
- Our Legal Practice Program includes eight full-time writing faculty who help students master legal writing. In the first year, students concentrate on objective and persuasive writing, as well as other practical skills necessary for successful law practice. In the second year, they select a specialized, upper-level course of study, such as criminal or civil practice or appellate advocacy.
- Our nine clinics help students hone their skills representing clients, with training and supervision provided by licensed attorneys.
- Our externship program enhances our students' practical and professional skills. During the 2013 calendar year, 261 students externed for academic credit.
Broad Geographic Interests
Our alumni can be found around the world. More than 7,800 W&M law graduates live and work in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and 46 other countries. They are leaders in private practice, the judiciary, business, education, public interest organizations, and government.
Significant Co-Curricular Accomplishments
- Our Alternative Dispute Resolution, Moot Court, and National Trial teams have proven to be formidable competitors at tournaments around the nation.
- Six of our students since 1999 have received awards from the Burton Foundation in recognition of their excellence in legal writing. The foundation recognized William & Mary with its Law School Record of Distinction Award, which is given to schools that have had student winners for three or more years.
- William & Mary students took first place honors in the inaugural (2012) Intellectual Property Writing Competition sponsored by Georgia State University College of Law and in the American College of Environmental Lawyers' 2012 Stephen E. Herrmann Environmental Law Writing Contest.
Commitment to Public Service
Law School summer public service fellowships assist students volunteering for government agencies and nonprofit organizations.
- Approximately 100 students receive fellowships each year.
- Fellows have worked throughout the United States and in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, and South America.
- The Virginia State Bar has honored three of our students with the Oliver White Hill Law Student Pro Bono Award.