Our Students Offer:
We share the company of a select group of law schools based on combined LSAT scores and GPAs of their student bodies, and employers around the world hire our students.
- The median undergraduate GPA for the Class of 2015 was 3.74 and the median LSAT score was 164. The Law School selected these students from 5,573 applicants who hailed from all 50 states, the District of Columbia and 61 other countries.
- Six percent of the members of the Class of 2015 earned graduate degrees before beginning their legal studies.
Students come to William & Mary from around the world. The members of the 2012-13 student body earned their undergraduate degrees at 257 colleges and universities.
Exceptional Skills and Training
William & Mary is among the leaders in preparing practice-ready law graduates.
- Our Legal Practice Program includes full-time writing faculty who help students master legal writing, and adjunct professors who work with students on oral presentation skills.
- Our nine clinics offer 150 students each year opportunities to hone their skills representing clients, with training and supervision provided by licensed attorneys.
- Our externship program enhances our students' practical and professional skills. During the 2012-13 academic year, more than 200 students will work with judges and practicing attorneys.
Broad Geographic Interests
Our students go on to live and work around the world. Alumni are located in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and 45 other countries. They are leaders in private practice, the judiciary, business, education, public interest organizations, and government.
Significant Co-Curricular Accomplishments
- Our Alternative Dispute Resolution, Moot Court, and National Trial teams have proven to be formidable competitors at tournaments around the nation.
- Six of our students have received Burton Awards in recognition of their excellence in legal writing. William & Mary has earned the Burton Law School Record of Distinction Award, for schools with student winners for three or more years.
- William & Mary students recently took first place honors in the inaugural Intellectual Property Writing Competition sponsored by Georgia State University College of Law and in the American College of Environmental Lawyers' 2012 Stephen E. Herrmann Environmental Law Writing Contest.
Commitment to Public Service
Law School public service fellowships assist students volunteering for government agencies and nonprofit organizations.
- Approximately 100 students receive fellowships each year.
- Fellows have worked throughout the United States and in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, and South America.
- The Virginia State Bar has honored three of our students with the Oliver White Hill Law Student Pro Bono Award.