This research was aimed at providing scholarly annotated editions of the papers of these two historic legal figures.
The Papers of John Marshall is a twelve-volume edition of the extant correspondence and papers of the statesman and jurist who served as chief justice of the United States from 1801 to 1835. The project was organized in 1966 with publication of the series by the University of North Carolina Press. Documents and collected research materials are archived at The Wolf Law Library.
St. George Tucker (1752-1827) is best known in the field of law for his edition of Blackstone's Commentaries (1803) which for many years was the leading American law text of the day. This project produced a three-volume annotated edition of Tucker's manuscript case reports from the Virginia courts (1786-1811) and the U.S. District and Circuit Court (1813-1824). These papers are part of the Tucker-Coleman collection in the the College's Swem Library.
Both projects were sponsored by the College of William & Mary and the Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture (OIEAHC).