JD Academic Concentrations
- Business Law
- Criminal Law
- Environmental Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- International Law
- Public Interest and Social Justice Law
Each concentration requires successful completion of (1) two or more foundational courses, (2) three or more approved courses, and (3) an independent research paper or an experiential course.
DegreeWorks provides students a customized tool that integrates with the online course catalog, providing students with dynamic information based on previous, current, and planned course credit and will assist in determining if selections will fulfill the various concentration group requirements. To access DegreeWorks login to your MyBanner page, under "Student" and then "Student Records" you will see DegreeWorks.
To determine whether your selections will fulfill various concentration group requirements use the "What If" function in DegreeWorks. The What-If function allows you to review the impact to your curriculum if you choose to add a concentration to your JD. The What-If audit will show you what coursework is required for a concentration, what courses you have taken that satisfy requirements, and what courses are still left for you to take.
- If you use the What-If feature, does it mean that you have added a concentration to your JD? No. The What-If function is for information purposes only. You will see the header What-If Audit displayed at the top of the audit whenever an audit is run on a What-If scenario.
- Can I view multiple What-If scenarios on the same screen? Yes. DegreeWorks will allow you to select more than one concentration at a time, keeping in mind students are authorized no more than two total Concentrations.
- Can I save my What-If scenario? No. What-If plans are not saved in DegreeWorks. You would need to run a new What-If scenario next time you log in to see it again.
The JD Declaration of Concentration form may be submitted directly to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs for approval during the student's third year of study by the deadlines posted.