Semester Exchange Programs

If you have the interest, we encourage you to explore law courses in foreign institutions. All J.D. graduation requirements must still be met for those students who study abroad.  In addition, a plan of action crafted with your OCS advisor is required as part of your application.  collage

We have Exchange Agreements with the following law schools around the world:

Up to two William & Mary students may be selected each year for each institution. Courses are taught in English, though if you are fluent in the host school language, you may take courses taught in that language. Students must earn an equivalent grade of "C" or better, from the exchange program school, for credits to transfer to the William & Mary law degree. Credits earned in the semester abroad program will be entered to your W&M transcript as pass-fail credits and therefore are subject to the 25% limitation on ungraded academic credits allowed towards your degree. Students will not get credit for coursework that is 30% or more duplicative of a course already taken at W&M.

Applications (PDF) are accepted from January to the Friday before spring break of your second year of law school, and you will study abroad during the fall semester of your 3L year.  Course plan for year during which you intend to spend a semester abroad must be approved in advance by the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs and the Registrar.

After a Study Abroad experience, students are required to complete a program evaluation.  Evaluation feedback assists the Law School with identification of program strengths and weaknesses, and offers the opportunity to enhance future programming. 

The student program evaluation will be administered through a printed evaluation questionnaire, and will capture information on pre-departure advising, host orientation, living accommodations, healthcare, curriculum, academic environment and quality.  The evaluation will be completed within 30 days of a student's return from a study abroad experience and will be turned in to the Student Affairs & Academic Support Office. Completion of an evaluation is required to receive coursework credit.

If you have questions, please contact the Associate Dean for Student Affairs & Academic Support, Brian Wall, at [[brwall]].

ABA Disclosures