If you have the interest, we encourage you to explore law courses in foreign institutions.
We have Exchange Agreements with eight law schools around the world:
- Instituto de Empresa, Madrid, Spain
- University of Auckland School of Law, New Zealand
- Keio University School of Law, Tokyo, Japan
- University of Vienna, Austria
- China University of Politics and Law, Beijing, China
- City University of Hong Kong
- University of Luxembourg
- Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Up to two William & Mary students may be selected each year for each institution. Courses are taught in English, though if you are fluent in the host school language, you may take courses taught in that language. Students must earn an equivalent grade of "C" or better, from the exchange program school, for credits to transfer to the William & Mary law degree. Credits earned in the semester abroad program will be entered to your W&M transcript as pass-fail credits and therefore are subject to the 25% limitation on ungraded academic credits allowed towards your degree.
Applications (PDF) are accepted from January to the Friday before spring break of your second year of law school, and you will study abroad during the fall semester of your 3L year.
Some hard copies of information on the different schools are available in the International Programs Office, Room 238. If you have questions, contact [[rhrose, Professor Ron Rosenberg]].