William & Mary Law School will again be offering our popular Legal Advantage Program during the summer of 2020. This program is open to all students admitted to the William & Mary LL.M. Program in the American Legal System and is a superb introduction for the student or lawyer who has been educated abroad and would like to be well prepared for the rigorous demands of LL.M. study. The English language portion of the program is also open to any graduate student who has been accepted to the College of William & Mary. Other students will be considered on an individual basis.
This program will be held from July 20 through August 14, 2020 and will provide international students with an excellent introduction to their legal studies and assist them with improvement of their English speaking, listening, comprehension and writing skills. It also offers students the opportunity to come to Williamsburg before the beginning of the LL.M. Program to allow additional time to adjust to the American culture.
The Legal Advantage Program contains two major components:
1. An English for International Students Program (EISP) (Eng 251-01) will increase your English fluency and confidence in the classroom with special emphasis on legal communication. Note: A legal writing course is a required component of the LLM Program, and
2. An Introduction to the Study of American Law course (Law 250-01) introduces students to American legal concepts and institutions. Students will learn the common law method and case analysis through coursework in substantive areas of U.S. law. The course emphasizes critical reading and effective writing in English.
Students who successfully complete the pass/fail Introduction to Law course will earn 2 credits towards the New York Bar Examination's requirement for coursework in American Legal Studies. For William & Mary LL.M. students, these credits will also count toward their degree requirements.
The estimated cost for participation in the Legal Advantage Program is:
- Tuition & Fees- $2,450 per course; $4,900 for both courses
- Housing in the Graduate Student Complex (air conditioned with cooking facilities) - $ 35** per day
- Health Insurance - $400 (for July 2020 coverage)**
**These are estimated costs and those who enroll in this program will be notified of the actual charges when they become available.
If you are interested in participating in this exciting program, please complete and submit the application with your tuition deposit. (Note: LL.M. alumni highly recommend that international students from countries governed by civil law take the Legal Advantage Program.) Please contact Professor Jen Stevenson at email@example.com, Associate Director, William & Mary LL.M. Program, with any questions you may have.
The deadline to enroll is May 1.
* This course will be held subject to a minimum number of attendees.